Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Phone Problems (Landline)

Hi,

I dont know if this would be the right place to ask but.. worth a
try..

Recently our home landline has been playing up and I wonder if anyone
has any clues what coudl be the problem, I wonder if it is the line or
something else.

Basically what happens is the phone will ring, but when we answer it
sounds like a crackly line but no one is there and then when we hang
up we cant get a dial tine agian, sometiome for hours and no one can
phoen in, the phone goes straight to BT answer 1571.

The other day the phone rang and we didnt get to it so I dialled 1471
and it gave me an 0800 number. I rang the number back to see who it
was as this had happened alot recently and it was just someones house,
and they had no idea who I was... very strange! Can lines get
crossed?!

We have 1 standard phone line coming into the house, into which we
have plugged:

our house phones (3 cordless)
wireless internet router (sky)
sky tv box
a shopping monitor hand held computer (my wife scans her shoping each
week and it uploads what we buy and we get vouchers etc...

I wonder if one of these is cousing the problem, however when teh line
has been dead, I have unplugged all of these and it still doesnt come
back!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tom
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Thomarse" wrote in message
[...]

You should have a master socket (assuming a BT landline). Remove the two
screws and pull the lower half of the front off. This will reveal a phone
socket. Use this with one good phone to test the line. If the problem has
gone away then the fault lies in the wiring inside your house (which is
taken from the removable section). If it persists, it is a problem for BT
(who will ask if you have done this)

If it is your house wiring, possible causes are water ingress into the
wiring and damaged cables where you have drilled into a wall and just nicked
the cable (I did this myself once)

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 15, 2:17*pm, "Bob Mannix" wrote:
"Thomarse" wrote in message

[...]

(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the reply.

I only have the master socket, into which I plug my phone etc so I
have no internal wiring (except for my sky box)

I guess the first thing to do is call BT and get them to check the
line, can they do this over the phone or do they need to send an
engineer out? I guess if the line problem is intermitant then they may
not pick it up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Thomarse" wrote in message

[...]

But what Bob is saying is that you need to remove the bottom half of the
panel and connect into the socket that you reveal. It is possible that you
_do_ have internal wiring, you just don't know about it. In any case,
again as Bob says, BT will ask you to do this so you might as well do it
now.

I guess the first thing to do is call BT and get them to check the
line, can they do this over the phone or do they need to send an
engineer out? I guess if the line problem is intermitant then they may
not pick it up.

They can test the line over the phone, but it won't necessarily help if the
problem isn't straightforward (and it seems like your might not be). Dial
151 IIRC and there's an option to test your line.

When at university myself and a friend in a nearby room both had our own BT
lines. Whenever he called me, after we ended the call, I'd lose my
dial-tone and calls into me wouldn't work. Whenever I rang BT to report
the problem they did an automated test which cleared out the problem. In
the end I managed to get an engineer out and he discovered that my line and
my friend's line had been miswired in some way.

Piers
Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"Thomarse" wrote in message
[...]

Do you continue to have broadband when the line is 'dead'?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomarse wrote:
Hi,

I dont know if this would be the right place to ask but.. worth a
try..

I wonder if one of these is cousing the problem, however when teh line
has been dead, I have unplugged all of these and it still doesnt come
back!

Any ideas?

We had a crackly line when it was windy / raining - after many hours of the
BT chap checking out the system (he checked all the way from the exchange to
the house to find the problem), he found that the drop wire coming into the
house had been rubbing against the house over the years, and when it rained
we got the crackley line, when i looked at the wire I was amased that the
broadband worked, as all the wires had no sheathing left and all the wires
were touching each other and covered in rust.

you are best to call BT who will do a line check

Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 06:12:19 -0700 (PDT), Thomarse
wrote:

Hi,

I dont know if this would be the right place to ask but.. worth a
try..

Recently our home landline has been playing up and I wonder if anyone
has any clues what coudl be the problem, I wonder if it is the line or
something else.

You can do an initial test online
http://www2.bt.com/faults

[...]

http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Piers Finlayson" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 06:50:39 -0700 (PDT), Thomarse wrote:

On Aug 15, 2:17 pm, "Bob Mannix" wrote:
"Thomarse" wrote in message

snip

If it is your house wiring, possible causes are water ingress into the
wiring and damaged cables where you have drilled into a wall and just
nicked
the cable (I did this myself once)

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the reply.

I only have the master socket, into which I plug my phone etc so I
have no internal wiring (except for my sky box)

But what Bob is saying is that you need to remove the bottom half of the
panel and connect into the socket that you reveal. It is possible that
you
_do_ have internal wiring, you just don't know about it. In any case,
again as Bob says, BT will ask you to do this so you might as well do it
now.

I actually had the same problem with old internal wiring we didn't use -
there was some along an outside wall and I cut it and forgot the other end
was still connected. No problem until some time later when rain seeped in
the cut end and gave very similar symptoms.

Have you cut any old cables or drilled any walls recently? Also, as someone
else suggests, check the quality of the incoming BT cable at rub or chafe
points.

BT can do remote testing but the results (which give a distance from a known
point, presumbly using dome form of TDR) are quit often too inaccurate (ir
they say the problem is in your premises when it is on the pole feeding the
house - persevere!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 14:17:51 +0100, Bob Mannix wrote:

You should have a master socket (assuming a BT landline). Remove the two
screws and pull the lower half of the front off. This will reveal a
phone socket. Use this with one good phone to test the line. If the
problem has gone away then the fault lies in the wiring inside your
house (which is taken from the removable section). If it persists, it is
a problem for BT (who will ask if you have done this)

And will ask if you have checked with two phones not just one. Report the
fault, which can be done online and is probably preferable than the indian
call center that answers residentail fault reports. The online system
doesn't have a box for you to tick to say you have done the above tests
but you'll get a call asking if you have. Might be a Catch 22 there if
your phone isn't working at all...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Thomarse wrote:
Hi,

I dont know if this would be the right place to ask but.. worth a
try..

uk.telecom ...

[...]

Unplug everything, leaving just the master socket. Disconnect all
exensions. If it's a new one, and it's been wired correctly, take the
faceplate off which should force an unplug of everything and you'll
see a test socket inside. Connect a bog-standard analogue phone up to
this socket.

Dial 17070. Digital dot ought to speak your number back. Try option 2.
(quiet line) and simply listen for crackles. DD will speak "Quiet line
test" every 30 seconds or so. You can then try a ring-back test.

If it's quiet, then start to put your home wiring back bit at a time,
and keep testing.

If it's still noisy and you have nothing on the line apart from the
master socket, then call BT on 151. Call them from your line if at all
posible. If they can hear the crackles too, then they should investigate
and fix it for free. If they can't, they might charge you a call-out
fee... (Have your bill handy as they might ask for the account code)

It's absolutely essential to disconnect all your home wiring, broadband,
etc. and have just the bare master socket before getting BT to check
the line, as that's the first thing they'll ask you to do. If they find
that the problem is in your wiring then they'll charge you.

If your provider isn't BT then good luck..

Gordon
--
www.drogon.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Possibly water/corrosion in the box at the end of their cable to your
house. I have Virginmedia not BT and their box on the outside wall
might as well have no cover on it for all the use the cover is.

An engineer showed me how to simply clean the connections to remove
corrosion and it cures the problem for a while.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 16:01:38 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
wrote:

In article ,
Thomarse wrote:
[...]

And make sure you use an analogue ( not digital) phone

Trying to troubleshoot phone problems [email protected] Home Repair 8 December 28th 07 03:58 AM
Verizon landline is nuts [email protected] Home Repair 15 December 28th 07 02:54 AM
phone line problems lupine Home Repair 7 September 30th 06 06:45 AM
OT sms Landline phones Davao UK diy 7 February 8th 06 12:48 PM
Weird phone problems Jethro_uk UK diy 14 May 10th 05 04:28 PM