Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomarse Thomarse is offline

Default Phone Problems (Landline)

Hi,

I dont know if this would be the right place to ask but.. worth a
try..

Recently our home landline has been playing up and I wonder if anyone
has any clues what coudl be the problem, I wonder if it is the line or
something else.

Basically what happens is the phone will ring, but when we answer it
sounds like a crackly line but no one is there and then when we hang
up we cant get a dial tine agian, sometiome for hours and no one can
phoen in, the phone goes straight to BT answer 1571.

The other day the phone rang and we didnt get to it so I dialled 1471
and it gave me an 0800 number. I rang the number back to see who it
was as this had happened alot recently and it was just someones house,
and they had no idea who I was... very strange! Can lines get
crossed?!

We have 1 standard phone line coming into the house, into which we
have plugged:

our house phones (3 cordless)
wireless internet router (sky)
sky tv box
a shopping monitor hand held computer (my wife scans her shoping each
week and it uploads what we buy and we get vouchers etc...

I wonder if one of these is cousing the problem, however when teh line
has been dead, I have unplugged all of these and it still doesnt come
back!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tom