Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY FAQ & Wiki

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 17:57:22 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Putting a traditional heirarchical structure on the wiki is I think so
fraught with issues its hardly worth considering, but I do agree that
some means to make it easier to find articles would be a big step
forward.

It's not that difficult to add [[Category:Tools]] to the bottom of an
article about SDS Drills for example or [[Category:Electrical]] to one
about wiring a plug.

Then construct a template with all the top level categories in it for
display on the "main page" and at the top of each category listing page
(these are built automagically and include sub-category listings).

Most of the automatic pages aren't really much use like the Allpages or
Categories one, the latter because it treats all categories as being at
the same level.

The idea was to move the content in 'Main page' out, renaming it
something else, and make the 'Main page' redirect to the contents
page, this one:
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....ecial:Allpages

No the default "main page" needs to tell the user what the wiki is about
and then lead them to indexes and/or search methods.

* People tend to click on 'main page,' so its the perfect place to put
this introduction to the wiki.

But it's not an "introduction" it's just a list of articles. Nothing about
why or where those articals have come from.

I'm doubtful that someone will come along and
a) create it
b) maintain it indefinitely

The basics appears to be there already, it just needs some sorting out.
The 50 odd categories just need something (a template?) to bring them into
a more manageable/structred list form for display. The main categories
Plumbing, Heating, Electrics, Lighting, Building etc already exist.

--
Cheers
Dave.