Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.solar.thermal
daestrom daestrom is offline

Default Preheating water by running pipes through attic?

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

My brother-in-law and his wife are planning to retire and build a
custom home with as many energy-saving and eco-friendly features as
possible. Since they're likely to be stuck with HOA rules about
exterior appearance, solar panels on the roof are probably out, but
they were wondering about simply running water pipes through the
roof space.

I'd put a $35 used car radiator with its 12 V fans under the ridge and
make the south roof transparent. It seems to me there's a federal law
that prohibits HOAs from outlawing this form of renewable energy.

When I read the subject I had to laugh. No one around here would
contemplate the idea. Something about sub-zero temperatures for a couple of
month a year...

But I suppose if freezing is never a concern (even Florida gets an
occasional frost), then go for it.

daestrom