Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default Long term gasoline storage

We used to store gasoline in a 300 gallon tank on the farm. We were
told that you'd loose up to 10% of the fuel per year due to evaporation.
You MUST have the tank ventilated, so you will loose some, too. You
can minimize the evaporation by putting a roof over the container. But,
since the tank is "breathing" as the temp goes up and down, you suck in
water vapor, which condenses and goes to the bottom. We used the fuel
up on a regular basis, so, with an annual treatment with a few bottles
of gas line anti freeze once a year it wasn't a problem. But it may
well be in storage.

I, too have fired up engines that have sat for 2 years or more with old
gas. Might not start as well at 30 below, but worked for me.

Pete Stanaitis

Karl Townsend wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a large gasoline tank, enough for two or more years
of use. Looking at the stabil product, they claim increasing fuel life (in
an engine) to 15 months.

Are there other things to increase fuel life? For example, will storage at a
constant 45 degrees help? What problems will old fuel cause?

Karl