Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus6985 Ignoramus6985 is offline

Default Long term gasoline storage

On 2008-08-12, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 08:22:51 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus6985 quickly quoth:

On 2008-08-12, Karl Townsend wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a large gasoline tank, enough for two or more years
of use. Looking at the stabil product, they claim increasing fuel life (in
an engine) to 15 months.

Are there other things to increase fuel life? For example, will storage at a
constant 45 degrees help? What problems will old fuel cause?

I never had problems running my boat on 2 year old gas.

I've stored and used 3-year-old gas for my mower outside in an
air-vented shed with no problems, either. 20F to 105F is the normal
range of temps. I've never even seen a can of Stabil and my state of
the art Murray mower with the B&S engine starts on the first pull
every time I've primed it enough. I never have drained the mower,
either.

Smoewhat relatd, but I think that current fuel prices are not
sustainable and will go down. I would not buy fuel as an investment.