Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Addison[_2_] Phil Addison[_2_] is offline

Default DIY FAQ & Wiki

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 21:21:23 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Grunff
wrote:

Subject: DIY FAQ & Wiki - hosting migration

Hi all,

As some of you will remember, I currently host the DIY FAQ and Wiki. The
server they are currently on needs to undergo some maintenance, and as
such I need to migrate both sites to a new server.

The FAQ is easy - it's small, and takes no time at all.

The Wiki is a monster - the database alone is over 400Mb, plus another
few hundred Mb in image files.

I'd like to get the migration done this weekend. To this end, I request
that no changes are made to the sites (including adding/editing Wiki
content) from tonight until Monday night. Any changes made will be lost!

I've emailed Phil about this, and he's ready to repoint the domains as
soon as I'm done.

I hope this doesn't inconvenience anyone, and expect normal service to
be resumed shortly. No site downtime is anticipated. I will post a
notice on this thread once the migration is complete.

[Was: DIY FAQ & Wiki - hosting migration]

I haven't been around for a while to do anything to the FAQ due to
family commitments, and wonder if its time for the FAQ to be integrated
into the Wiki somehow? Is that practical and does anyone feel like doing
it? - I can't see me being able to do it in the near future. In fact is
there anyone willing to take on the FAQ editing/maintenance task too?

The Wiki has got some good stuff in it now, but I see a problem in that
although one can find articles by searching, there is no mechanism for
browsing it in a structured way. To answer the question "What is in the
Wiki?" one has to visit every article in the contents list (actually
just an index) which itself is well hidden under "See Also" at the very
bottom of the Main Page. I know non-structuredness is inherent in Wikis,
but wouldn't it be possible to construct a structured Main Page
consisting of a hierarchical list containing links pointing to the
existing articles?

This would make the Wiki more accessible to those that don't have an
immediate DIY task to search for, but want to browse for inspiration.

There is an old suggestion for a structure at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/beta/FAQ_Pr...tents_List.doc

Phil
(sometime) FAQ Editor

Phil