Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bruce[_4_] Bruce[_4_] is offline

Default Killing off a stump

andrew wrote:

Bruce wrote:

That was also the reason for using permanganate of potash. *It seemed
to work, because the stumps would smoulder away to almost nothing.

OK, I only saw the stuff in small amounts in chemistry sets and as crystals
for disinfecting, I think it was used in public baths for treating foot
infections. Quite effective with spirit of salts IIRC ;-).

There was also "Gentian Violet" as an antiseptic. It was withdrawn
from chemists about five years ago.

Saltpetre could be obtained in bulk then and the sodium chlorate didn't
have inhibitors in it! How did we survive before terrorists showed us our
errors?

And all they have done is found other ingredients, such as perfume and
hydrogen peroxide ....