Posted to rec.woodworking
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default permit inspections

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:
For people who have had to have inspections for permit work what are
my rights as a homeowner?

I'm having an inspector come out to examine some work I did recently
in the shop and am curious what my rights are as a citizen. Does
the
inspector have the right to roam freely about my house looking for
problems and mistakes or is he/she constrained to just the task at
hand?

The electrician who did the work made it sound like the inspector
could pretty much do whatever they wanted once inside - which makes
me wonder how that wouldn't violate my 4th amendment rights.

Inspections are by consent--if you decide to withdraw consent and send
the inspector packing you should be able to, however if he doesn't get
to inspect everything he thinks he needs to inspect then you don't get
your Certificate of Occupancy.

--John

Yeah I guess that goes without saying. Its just one of those things I
wanted to figure out before I dealt with in case my attitude problem ended
up costing me thousands and thousands of dollars.

Too bad I can't force him to put on a black sackcloth bag over his head
while I whirl him around 5 times then guide him to the place of inspection.