Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris R Chris R is offline

Default Powercraft/Wolf 720 watt generator fault

curls;1339385 Wrote:
I'm expecting cries of "bin it" but it's worth a try.

The output from this generator is low to non-existent. If I plug a 500
watt drill in, it might turn
sometimes, but only between probably 10rpm and 200rpm, it's very
erratic - guessing the speeds of
course - then it will stop altogether, and then maybe start up again,
slowly.

There doesn't seem to be much that can be done with these other than
maybe change the capacitor, but
my electrical knowledge is too lacking in such matters to even know if
that could be the problem.

Is it a lost cause?

I originally got this from Freecycle knowing the genny side was
faulty, in the hope I could make a
good one out of two - I have another with a duff engine. Turns out
they are sufficiently different
that I can't do anything with them, so now I have two non-working
genny's

Hi Curls

I had the same problem, changed diodes etc and checked continuity on
the windings etc, after some more probing i changed the capacitor (8uF
440v) and hey presto the genarator is working again, I got the new
capacitor from Maplin Electronics http://www.maplin.co.uk/, Order no:
Motor run 440V 8uF RG64U at £3.43

The 2 diodes on the armature are hidden behind the resistior and are
1n5408 types that can be bought from Mode components for a very
reasonable price http://www.modecomponents.co.uk/

Hope this helps with your repair and gets you going if its not allready
fixed and helps someone in the future to repair there genarator also

Chris

--
Chris R