Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

Default Oil for plastic laptop hinges

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 10:32:50 +0100, "john hamilton"
wrote:

The hinges on our Fujitsu laptop screen appear to be 'all' plastic and they
get very 'difficult to move' making the screen difficult to fold up and
down.

Any particular model Fujitsu? All the one's that I've seen have metal
hinges buried under the plastic hinge cover.

We have have tried 'WD-40', but that seems effective for only a very short
time.

Big mess, doesn't stay put, drips, and doesn't last. Also eats some
plastics.

We are afraid to use ordinary oil as we thought it might effect the plastic.
We were thinking of using olive oil, but somebody has told us that olive oil
'degrades' and goes sticky, over time.

True. Same with most vegetable oils.

We have got some Camellia oil that was given to us, and it's made from
Camellias and it comes from Japan and is suppose not to 'degrade'. Still
it's an unknown quantity to us.

Dunno.

Does anyone know what would be a suitable and safe lubricant in this case?
Since we dont want to cause any problems with the plastic on this lap top.
Grateful for any suggestions, thanks.

Silicon lube should work. However, I would use soap. That's common
ordinary soap flakes or shredded Ivory brand soap bars. That's what I
use for doors, hinges, screws, cd trays, and any place where I need a
no-mess lube job.

Also, I would look a bit more carefully at the hinge you're attempting
to lube, and see if you're not shaving plastic as it moves. The
plastic chips will imbed themselves into the pivot area and eventually
jam the hinge. Just cleaning out the crud might be sufficient to make
the hinge work normally.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D