Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

Default Oil for plastic laptop hinges

The hinges on our Fujitsu laptop screen appear to be 'all' plastic and they
get very 'difficult to move' making the screen difficult to fold up and
down.

We have have tried 'WD-40', but that seems effective for only a very short
time.

We are afraid to use ordinary oil as we thought it might effect the plastic.
We were thinking of using olive oil, but somebody has told us that olive oil
'degrades' and goes sticky, over time.

We have got some Camellia oil that was given to us, and it's made from
Camellias and it comes from Japan and is suppose not to 'degrade'. Still
it's an unknown quantity to us.

Does anyone know what would be a suitable and safe lubricant in this case?
Since we dont want to cause any problems with the plastic on this lap top.
Grateful for any suggestions, thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

john hamilton wrote:

The hinges on our Fujitsu laptop screen appear to be 'all' plastic and they get very 'difficult to move' making the
screen difficult to fold up and down.

We have have tried 'WD-40', but that seems effective for only a very short time.

And is bad for the plastic.

We are afraid to use ordinary oil as we thought it might effect the plastic.

So does WD-40.

We were thinking of using olive oil, but somebody has told
us that olive oil 'degrades' and goes sticky, over time.

Correct.

We have got some Camellia oil that was given to us, and it's made from
Camellias and it comes from Japan and is suppose not to 'degrade'.
Still it's an unknown quantity to us.

Bad for the plastic too.

Does anyone know what would be a suitable and safe lubricant in this case?

Silicone oil.

Since we dont want to cause any problems with the plastic on this lap top.

Yep, if you degrade the plastic, it will break.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

"john hamilton" wrote in message

We have have tried 'WD-40', but that seems effective for only a very short
time.

WD-40 ain't a lubricant, it's a cleaner and a water displacer used to
prevent
rust.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

john hamilton wrote:

We have have tried 'WD-40', but that seems effective for only a very short
time.

cringe

That could be the cause of your problems. Firstly WD40 isn't really a
lubricant and secondly it can attack some plastics which can lead to
plastic hinges gettign stiffer as the WD-40 glues the faces together.
It's a bit of a lottery depending on the plastic used in the hinges.

You would be better off using either silicon grease or a dry lubricant.
Avoid anythign containing graphite because it conducts electricity and
shouldn't be used on electrical or electronic items. Farnell sell a dry
lubricant which should be better for this application:

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/displayPro...MP=e-2072-0000
1000
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message
In article ,
"john hamilton" wrote:

[...]

I suggest you contact Fujitsu's tech support to discuss this problem.

Dry graphite lock lubricant, maybe ? A tint squirt of wax furniture polish ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

[...]

The hinges on LTs are not plastic but have a plastic covering over the steel
hinges.
Loosening the will result in the screen lid not staying in the position
thats required of the user.

If you must loosen them then do it the proper way,get it serviced.
If its out of warrenty then try and find out how to remove the plastic
covering of hinges,normally this can be done without having to dismantle the
whole casing?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

Dry graphite lock lubricant

Are you sure you want to be spraying graphite around near a laptop?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

"john hamilton" wrote in
:

We have have tried 'WD-40',

Bad stuff.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
Arfa Daily wrote:

Dry graphite lock lubricant

Are you sure you want to be spraying graphite around near a laptop?

Well, I take your point on its potential conductivity, but I would consider
it highly unlikely that sufficient could actually get inside to anywhere
'electrical' enough to cause a problem, when treating an external hinge.
Obviously, a degree of common sense would have to be applied, but perhaps I
am assuming too much, as WD40 has already been tried ... :-) I notice that
you have carefully removed the question mark that I had after the word
"lubricant" which changes its context rather, from the 'possibility
suggestion' intended, to a statement, which certainly wasn't intended.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

I notice that you have carefully removed the question mark that I had
after the word "lubricant" which changes its context rather, from the
'possibility suggestion' intended, to a statement, which certainly wasn't
intended.

Oh FFS are you all on the blob at the moment?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
Yep, if you degrade the plastic, it will break.

It will break anyway. If ye have the pleasure of stripping down and
fixing Fujitsu Siemens laptops, you will be amazed how flimsy some of
the construction is - and how the lack of support compounds the
situation. I've never seen service manuals available.

--
Adrian C
Posted to alt.os.windows-xp,alt.usenet.kooks,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

Stacey Chuffo, ye backward soul, a new Gorgon doth destroy my sight, ye
dripped:

"john hamilton" wrote in message

We have have tried 'WD-40', but that seems effective for only a very
short time.

WD-40 ain't a lubricant, it's a cleaner and a water displacer used to
prevent rust.

You fat-mouthed ****head know-nothing ****flap. WD-40 is oil-based therefore
it must lubticate. Lo and behold...

LUBRICATES
WD-40’s lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and hold to all moving
parts. WD-40 does not contain silicone or other additives that attract dust
and dirt.

http://www.wd40.com.au/WD-40.html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth, ye bug-eyed subtle whore, the wicked fires of lust have
melted thou in thine own grease, ye gabbled:

Yet another ****ing moron.

LUBRICATES
WD-40’s lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and hold to all moving
parts. WD-40 does not contain silicone or other additives that attract dust
and dirt.

http://www.wd40.com.au/WD-40.html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y
me me is offline

(Steve Firth) wrote in
:

Arfa Daily wrote:

I notice that you have carefully removed the question mark that I
had
after the word "lubricant" which changes its context rather, from the
'possibility suggestion' intended, to a statement, which certainly
wasn't intended.

Oh FFS are you all on the blob at the moment?

There is also powdered teflon...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily, ye filthy malt-horse, if you spend word for word with me, I
shall make your wit bankrupt, ye issued forth:

Arfa Daily wrote:

Dry graphite lock lubricant

Are you sure you want to be spraying graphite around near a laptop?

Well, I take your point on its potential conductivity, but I would
consider it highly unlikely that sufficient could actually get inside to
anywhere 'electrical' enough to cause a problem

Real meaning: "I have never seen graphite, let alone used it."

Posted to alt.os.windows-xp,alt.usenet.kooks,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

"Kadaitcha Man" wrote in message

LUBRICATES
WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and hold to all
moving
parts. WD-40 does not contain silicone or other additives that attract
dust
and dirt.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

catchadisck cuts-n-pastes of the manufacturers website and think he knows
it all

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

WD40 is for using on seized metal joints and such or to dispel water.

It's a right bodge solution, as the sticky film left behind is highly
efficent at trapping dirt and dust.

but you forte is your bodge solutions isn't it catchadickhead

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

"Kadaitcha Man" wrote in message Yet
another ****ing moron.

LUBRICATES
WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and hold to all
moving
parts. WD-40 does not contain silicone or other additives that attract
dust
and dirt.

You've already cut-n-pasted that, are your multiple personalities
communicating properly?

Posted to alt.os.windows-xp,alt.usenet.kooks,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

d, ye buck-toothed living murmurer, ye are a sort of man whose visage
does cream and mantle like a standing pond, ye inculcated:

"Kadaitcha Man" wrote in message

LUBRICATES
WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and hold to all
moving
parts. WD-40 does not contain silicone or other additives that attract
dust
and dirt.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I hope you bust your jugular wide-open.

catchadisck cuts-n-pastes of the manufacturers

If you belive the claim is false, file a false advertising claim, ****head.
There are strict laws against false advertising in Australia.

website and think he knows it all

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

WD40 is for using on seized metal joints and such or to dispel water.

It's a right bodge solution, as the sticky film left behind is highly
efficent at trapping dirt and dust.

but you forte is your bodge solutions isn't it catchadickhead

LOLOBITCHSLAP

Calm down, k00ky. Calm down.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.usenet.kooks

d, ye toilet-scrubbing doghearted daughter, o you beast, o faithless
coward, o dishonest wretch. Wilt thou be made a man out of my vice, ye
released:

"Kadaitcha Man" wrote in message Yet
another ****ing moron.

LUBRICATES
WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and hold to all
moving
parts. WD-40 does not contain silicone or other additives that attract
dust
and dirt.

You've already cut-n-pasted thaBITCHSLAP

You snipped the bit where it said "Yet another ****ing moron." Perhaps
because you knew, or at least suspected, that it applied to you too.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.usenet.kooks

"Kadaitcha Man" wrote in message
d, ye toilet-scrubbing doghearted daughter, o you beast, o faithless
coward, o dishonest wretch. Wilt thou be made a man out of my vice, ye
released:

"Kadaitcha Man" wrote in message Yet
another ****ing moron.

LUBRICATES
WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and hold to all
moving
parts. WD-40 does not contain silicone or other additives that attract
dust
and dirt.

You've already cut-n-pasted thaBITCHSLAP

You snipped the bit where it said "Yet another ****ing moron." Perhaps
because you knew, or at least suspected, that it applied to you too.

Look again, typical of you.

You have no idea what your ranting about

hth

Posted to alt.os.windows-xp,alt.usenet.kooks,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

"Kadaitcha Man" wrote in message

If you belive the claim is false, file a false advertising claim,
****head.
There are strict laws against false advertising in Australia.

LOL Katchadickhead see's an advert on TV for fizzy drink

Goes to shop, buys it and complains when the rainbows and fairies fail to
appear when he opens it

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

LOLOBITCHSLAP

SLAPS BITCH BACK

Calm down, k00ky. Calm down.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

Kadaitcha Man wrote:

Yet another ****ing moron.

Good of you to introduce yourself.

The War Department specified WD-40 as a water dispersant. Not as a
lubricant.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.usenet.kooks

d, ye callow minion of the moon, a knot you are of damned blood suckers,
ye winced:

"Kadaitcha Man" wrote in message
d, ye toilet-scrubbing doghearted daughter, o you beast, o faithless
coward, o dishonest wretch. Wilt thou be made a man out of my vice, ye
released:

"Kadaitcha Man" wrote in message Yet
another ****ing moron.

LUBRICATES
WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and hold to all
moving
parts. WD-40 does not contain silicone or other additives that attract
dust
and dirt.

You've already cut-n-pasted thaBITCHSLAP

You snipped the bit where it said "Yet another ****ing moron." Perhaps
because you knew, or at least suspected, that it applied to you too.

Look agaBITCHSLAP

You do it.

Posted to alt.os.windows-xp,alt.usenet.kooks,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

Default PING AUK Ownership Registrar ( Oil for plastic laptop hinges)

d, ye tickle-brained whoreson loggerhead, thou odoriferous stench, sound
rottenness, ye cackled:

"Kadaitcha Man" wrote in message

If you belive the claim is false, file a false advertising claim,
****head.
There are strict laws against false advertising in Australia.

LOL Katchadickhead see's an advert on TV for fizzy drink

Goes to shop, buys it and complains when the rainbows and fairies fail to
appear when he opens it

Really? I ride motorcycles and WD-40 is used for lubrication. It's entirely
your own fault if you don't use the product to its full potential.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

LOLOBITCHSLAP

SLAPS BITCH BACK

Calm down, k00ky. Calm down.

Monkey see, monkey do. I claim official ownership of your empty head.

Posted to alt.os.windows-xp,alt.usenet.kooks,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

"Kadaitcha Man" wrote in message

Really? I ride motorcycles and WD-40 is used for lubrication. It's
entirely
your own fault if you don't use the product to its full potential.

You use WD40 as a lubricant on a motorbike ? Well, good luck to you.

I use 10/40 oil, grease and copper grease.

The only time I use WD40 on a motorbike is on the electrics if they get
damp, and thats in an emergency.

WD40 is great for collecting grime over the electrics.

hth

Posted to alt.os.windows-xp,alt.usenet.kooks,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

"d" wrote in message
om...

"Kadaitcha Man" wrote in message

Really? I ride motorcycles and WD-40 is used for lubrication. It's
entirely
your own fault if you don't use the product to its full potential.

You use WD40 as a lubricant on a motorbike ? Well, good luck to you.

I use 10/40 oil, grease and copper grease.

The only time I use WD40 on a motorbike is on the electrics if they get
damp, and thats in an emergency.

Oh, I may use it to loosen siezed parts such as the brake cam and caliper
parts, because obviously you don't want to much slippery stuff around said
parts.

hth

Posted to alt.os.windows-xp,alt.usenet.kooks,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

"§ñühwØ£f" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 13:27:24 +0000, d aided th' terraists with the
following claims :

"Kadaitcha Man" wrote in message

LUBRICATES
WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and hold to all
moving
parts. WD-40 does not contain silicone or other additives that attract
dust
and dirt.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

catchadisck cuts-n-pastes of the manufacturers website and think he
knows
it all

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

WD40 is for using on seized metal joints and such or to dispel water.

It's a right bodge solution, as the sticky film left behind is highly
efficent at trapping dirt and dust.

but you forte is your bodge solutions isn't it catchadickhead

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Calm down goofy. WD40 has tons of uses. We used to treat teh dashboard of
the work van and the door panels with it.
Its not "sticky". It *might* attract dust so a better alternative woul be
silicone spray. Like wot we use on our tredmill.
FYI

sorry, I was more interested in Katchadickhead's claim that he know all
about it after cut-n-pasting off the manufacturers website when,obviously,
he has never used it in his life. After all , they won't let him out of the
cellar. Just wait till they find out he's gotton onto the Internet. He'll be
in for a paddling then !

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

Dry graphite lock lubricant

Are you sure you want to be spraying graphite around near a laptop?

Many such things are 'lubricated' on assembly with a damping fluid - a bit
like the spindles on controls - to give that "stirring treacle" feel (a
wonderful expression - found on this group)

A typical long chain molecule compound is this one:

http://www.rocol.com/lubricants/engl...nance/damping/

Kilopoise.

Removing this can make the assembly feel very sloppy. Alternatively it may
have some sort of spring loaded expanding spindle to give some braking
effect.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

john hamilton wrote:

The hinges on our Fujitsu laptop screen appear to be 'all' plastic and they
get very 'difficult to move' making the screen difficult to fold up and
down.

We have have tried 'WD-40', but that seems effective for only a very short
time.

We are afraid to use ordinary oil as we thought it might effect the plastic.
We were thinking of using olive oil, but somebody has told us that olive oil
'degrades' and goes sticky, over time.

We have got some Camellia oil that was given to us, and it's made from
Camellias and it comes from Japan and is suppose not to 'degrade'. Still
it's an unknown quantity to us.

Does anyone know what would be a suitable and safe lubricant in this case?
Since we dont want to cause any problems with the plastic on this lap top.
Grateful for any suggestions, thanks.

Note: Following unrelated newsgroups removed from my reply:
misc.consumers.frugal-living
uk.d-i-y

WD-40
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

FAQ page
http://www.wd40.com/faqs/#q8

I sincerely doubt that your laptop's plastic casing has been damaged as
others have insinuated. Because of low viscosity, WD-40 will drip away
and also evaporate away (due to the aromatic compounds) leaving behind
something akin to a shellac coating hence its claimed rust protection
due to the residue. As a lubricant, WD-40 works at first but then its
lubing effect wanes. While WD-40 is good at penetration and
displacement, it is only useful for temporary lubrication. The residue
left behind for rust prevention is not useful for friction reduction.
It is a "light" lubricant that also will remove existing lubricants.
For example, don't use it on your bicycle chain as the result will be
washing away the existing oil, it doesn't have enough viscosity to stay
in place, and you get metal-to-metal erosion.

Instead of WD-40, use a squeeze-tube applicator with needle (aka, a
"pen") for 3-In-One oil (also made by WD-40 company; see
http://www.3inone.com/faqs/), the multi-purpose blend. It won't wash
away existing lubricant and doesn't evaporate away over time to leave
behind a higher friction residue as does WD-40. See
http://www.wd40company.com/partners/msds/usa/ for the MSDS sheets.
Notice 3-in-one has nil volatiles while WD-40 has 74%. What you spray
on for immediate effect with WD-40 then evaporates away. The residue
left behind by WD-40 for rust protection is not what you want for lower
friction.

You could use silicone lube (but not now after you've already used
WD-40). While silicone grease is great (but requires applying to the
mating surfaces which means dismantling the hinges in your laptops),
silicone spray lube will have less than spectacular results. Works
great when applied but the hinge starts squeaking a week later (and
which wasn't squeaking before). If it has hexane, that damages some
plastics, like polypropylene. Check the ingredients as it is the other
"stuff" that might determine if you use that silicone lube product or
not. If you have to use a spray, put a paper towel behind to catch the
overspray, or oversoak an ear swab with the spray and use the swab on
the hinge. Silicone polymers will swell if exposed to hydrophobic
solvents (e.g., WD-40). Don't mix them. Unless you are going to
dismantle the laptop AND the hinge to thoroughly clean inside the hinge,
and since you already used WD-40, don't use a silicon spray. The
wetting agents in the silicon spray won't be sufficient to penetrate
into a constructed hinge to clean out the WD-40 still left inside.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

[...]

If you can get the hinge covers of, you may find a few screws holding the
hinge-proper in place.

You could try loosening these, or even dismantling the hinge and cleaning
it. They will be metal parts,

You may find a manual for the laptop on the Fujitsu website.

THIS IS A PUBLIC SUGGESTION ANNOUNCEMENT !

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

[...]

CRC 2-26
CRC 2-26
CRC 2-26
CRC 2-26
CRC 2-26

CRC 2-26

TRY getting it at The Home Depot.

http://www.crcindustries.com/faxdocs/TCHDTA/101.pdf

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

"john hamilton" wrote:

The hinges on our Fujitsu laptop screen appear to be 'all' plastic and they
get very 'difficult to move' making the screen difficult to fold up and
down.

I use this Teflon based dry lube around the house.
maybe try it?

http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Multi-U.../dp/B00030BFEM
Posted to alt.os.windows-xp,alt.usenet.kooks,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

§ñühwØ£f wrote:
[...]

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/qa/qawd40.html

which links to:

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infwd40.html

and then there's this:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/wd-40.asp

--
Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

"You know you can indict a ham sandwich if you want to."
William J. Martini, Judge, United States District Court

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

"d" wrote in message
m...

[...]

p.s.

if u look at this ebay auction of a laptop hinge

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ADVENT-3087-LE...6.c0.m14.l1318

the actual hinge is a pole underneath the black part in the middle.

Grease is used on it.

the WD40 may have degraded the grease.

I seem to semember that trying to loosen the screws was difficult.

It does need fixing though, because it puts pressure on the frame, screen
and surrounding plastics, causing cracks and eventually .....

THIS IS A PUBLIC SUGGESTION ANNOUNCEMENT !

Posted to alt.os.windows-xp,alt.usenet.kooks,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

[...]

http://www.truthout.org/article/is-b...nations-mccain

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

http://cpc.farnell.com/SASILGRSETUBE...200002000-50gm

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

Silicone, as used for plumbing fittings

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 10:32:50 +0100, "john hamilton"
wrote:

The hinges on our Fujitsu laptop screen appear to be 'all' plastic and they
get very 'difficult to move' making the screen difficult to fold up and
down.

We have have tried 'WD-40', but that seems effective for only a very short
time.

We are afraid to use ordinary oil as we thought it might effect the plastic.
We were thinking of using olive oil, but somebody has told us that olive oil
'degrades' and goes sticky, over time.

We have got some Camellia oil that was given to us, and it's made from
Camellias and it comes from Japan and is suppose not to 'degrade'. Still
it's an unknown quantity to us.

Does anyone know what would be a suitable and safe lubricant in this case?
Since we dont want to cause any problems with the plastic on this lap top.
Grateful for any suggestions, thanks.

I'm surprised no-one has been along to tell you to stop doing
unmentionable things over your laptop.!!!!!!!!! :-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The hinges on our Fujitsu laptop screen appear to be 'all' plastic and they
get very 'difficult to move' making the screen difficult to fold up and
down.

Any particular model Fujitsu? All the one's that I've seen have metal
hinges buried under the plastic hinge cover.

We have have tried 'WD-40', but that seems effective for only a very short
time.

Big mess, doesn't stay put, drips, and doesn't last. Also eats some
plastics.

We are afraid to use ordinary oil as we thought it might effect the plastic.
We were thinking of using olive oil, but somebody has told us that olive oil
'degrades' and goes sticky, over time.

True. Same with most vegetable oils.

We have got some Camellia oil that was given to us, and it's made from
Camellias and it comes from Japan and is suppose not to 'degrade'. Still
it's an unknown quantity to us.

Dunno.

Does anyone know what would be a suitable and safe lubricant in this case?
Since we dont want to cause any problems with the plastic on this lap top.
Grateful for any suggestions, thanks.

Silicon lube should work. However, I would use soap. That's common
ordinary soap flakes or shredded Ivory brand soap bars. That's what I
use for doors, hinges, screws, cd trays, and any place where I need a
no-mess lube job.

Also, I would look a bit more carefully at the hinge you're attempting
to lube, and see if you're not shaving plastic as it moves. The
plastic chips will imbed themselves into the pivot area and eventually
jam the hinge. Just cleaning out the crud might be sufficient to make
the hinge work normally.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D