Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Telescopic track for hoist?

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 00:15:04 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"croq" quickly quoth:

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"croq" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

I have a need to build a track for a cable hoist that will extend out of
the side opening of a van. I'm wondering if anyone might have a lead on
such a contraption or advice on how to accomplish this feat. I need to
keep as much headroom as possible so I have approximately 4 inches in
height to work with. Maximum weight capacity would be 400 lbs. I also
need to be able to extend the end of the track out of the van roughly 36"
to 42". The trolley for the hoist will need to travel the entire length
of the track or rather from the drivers side clear out the passenger side
door.

So far I figure I either need to use nesting tube steel/aluminum with a
"C" cross section in order to have a trolley inside the inner tube, the
outer tube mounted to the van. Or I need to hang a trolley on an "I"
beam that is hanging from another "I" beam.

Any other ideas or specs on wall thickness, tube size, beam size would be
most welcome.

ATM removal tool?

Had not thought of alternative uses at this point Bob however I like the
idea. Actually this device will be used to transfer my wheelchair
bound sister. Ironically, she can not travel in the wheelchair.

I can hear your sister now..."What's all this grease on the floor and
greasy fingerprints all over my lift, hmmm?" g

See www.Accuride.com for their #9301 slides. You'll likely need some
sort of damper for them, either air or hydraulic, for safety.
They're $160-$350 a pair, depending on size and where you buy them.
Shop around.

Will you be transferring her to a mobile bed in the van, or regular
vehicular seats?

--
Pain makes man think. Thought makes man wise. Wisdom makes life endurable.
-- John Patrick