Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Jointing or Biscuits

On Aug 10, 10:03 am, "Swingman" wrote:

Although the machine itself is a spin-off of the plate joiner design, I
would be hard pressed to classsify the Domino "loose tenons" as "biscuits".

I don't see how they could at all. I am surprised they didn't put the
Krieg system in there and call it a "metal rod biscuit" or some other
baloney.

Here is the supposed results of a relatively recent (07) "Wood"

magazine
"joint strength" test of various "loose tenon" methods:

SNIP

That said, while it's interesting, I don't know that I'd trust this
particular rag to be the final word on anythng ...

I think it is important to realize that in some cases these magazines
buy these tests, contract these tests, and in other situations
probably just buy the copy outright. Mssr. Self would know the
protocols on that.

But what gets me, is the way they test the machines. Once again, we
are looking for the end all, do all type machine. Where is that
machine? With a tip of the hat to the shop bound fellas that do this,
I don't really care how well it works in the quiet confines of my shop
with all the proper room, clamping equipment, and time I need to get
the machine squared away.

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that if you tried out those tools again
in the hands of someone that drives up the the job to trim an house
and build a couple of laundry cabs or a built in clothes hamper, he
will take the Domino first, and the biscuit machine second.

As for strength of joints... great for those who want to exert several
hundred pounds of pressure on wood working efforts. How many magazine/
casual/professionals have seen enough failures of any of those systems
to be of concern.

I think too for the lowly biscuit, it is important to remember that
they only test with one biscuit in the joint. Two biscuits give a
tremendous gain in a joint, and unless it is 3/4" material, everyone I
know uses two now.

I am not a big proponent of biscuits, but until I can justify the cost
of the Domino (quit taking those damn roof repairs, Robert....) the
biscuit joiner will stay with me. I will try to remember that I have
NEVER had a joint that was joined with biscuits fail.

Who knows - since my joints don't come apart... there may NEVER be a
Domino in the future for me. I actually be more interested in the
Rotex Super MF 1000 Platinum Stealth Wood Transformer and Satellite
Tracking tool. They sell it as a "sander" (yeah - right!) down at
WoodCraft.

One day...

Robert