Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.solar.thermal
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Preheating water by running pipes through attic?

HeyBub wrote:
Chuck wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:

Why don't you bury the pipes in the driveway? I did this in Florida
and had very hot water all the time. I had a black asphalt driveway
and before they installed it, I buried copper pipe in the sand. After
the asphalt was put down and cured, I found that I had plenty of very
hot water. Since the water heater tank was just inside the garage, it
was easy to get the water back into the tank.

Heh! That's a great idea. Sort of a poor man's geothermal power station.

Cute idea, but up north here in frost heave country, those copper pipes
wouldn't make it through one winter. PEX, maybe. And you'd have to fill
with antifreeze and use a heat exchanger setup, to keep them from
freezing solid, unless you put them so deep that it was residual ground
heat you were sucking instead of solar.

When I lived in southern Indiana, with abandoned water-filled limestone
quarries all over the place, I had a dream of buying one, and dropping a
heat exchanger on the bottom to get free cooling for a/c. Of course, I
was a broke student at the time, so it stayed in the dream stage.

--
aem sends...