Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Jointing or Biscuits

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
for the shelf and leg skirts. On this job alone the Domino probably
saved
me 1 full day of work and that is about 1/3 the cost of the Domino.

Leon, just out of interest's sake have you tested the strength in a Domino
connection by purposely trying to break a stile connection off a rail? I'm
wondering what kind of strength is inherent in those Domino biscuits or
what
kind of resistance was encountered before the stile split off the Domino
biscuit?

No I have not tested them however, the smallest Domino is 5mm thick, 18mm
wide, and 30 mm long. There are 4 larger sizes up to 10mm thick, 23 mm
wide, and 50 mm long. All are made of solid Beech wood.
Additionally and unlike the single thin thickness biscuits the Domino
machine can be set so that the slot is a perfect fit, thick and width wise.
This is great for indexing alignment as the machine has multiple ways to
index the location of the mortice. The following mortises can be set to be
cut a bit wider than the Domino, to ease assembly.