Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Jointing or Biscuits

"Upscale" wrote

wondering what kind of strength is inherent in those Domino biscuits or

what
kind of resistance was encountered before the stile split off the Domino
biscuit?

Although the machine itself is a spin-off of the plate joiner design, I
would be hard pressed to classsify the Domino "loose tenons" as "biscuits".

Here is the supposed results of a relatively recent (07) "Wood" magazine
"joint strength" test of various "loose tenon" methods:

Shear Test

Mortise and tenon 1,017 pounds (461 kg)
Dowelmax 609 pounds (276 kg)
Beadlock 541 pounds (245 kg)
Domino 464 pounds (210 kg)
Biscuits 187 pounds (85 kg)

Pull-apart Test

Mortise and tenon 2,525 pounds (1,145 kg)
Dowelmax 1,866 pounds (846 kg)
Domino 1,486 pounds (674 kg)
Beadlock 1,170 pounds (530 kg)
Biscuits 766 pounds (347 kg)

That said, while it's interesting, I don't know that I'd trust this
particular rag to be the final word on anythng ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08