Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default BT 1571 to be Charged For

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 21:57:40 UTC, "Roger Mills"
wrote:

So, unless I've missed something, what would making these free calls
gain me? Apart from saving some small amount of money at certain times
of the week? The disadvantage is that the ISDN line has extensions all
round the house, and the POTS line doesn't even have a phone on it
most of the time, and it has no extensions.

In your own words (above) "I make calls via various indirect providers, but
they're always
going to come in via BT....it's a BT line. So, if I wished, I could have
1571 on that line and it would take messages for me."

I'm not sure which line you were referring to there - or how useful 1571
would be on it. But if you *wanted* 1571, you'd have to pay for it *unless*
you made a couple of calls per month - albeit free - on it. However, if it's
an ISDN line, I don't know how much of this applies anyway!

As I said earlier, I don't approve of 1571 so wouldn't use it anyway.
The PBX does all the voicemail, and there are five numbers (and five
voicemail boxes) attached to it, so no need. But as it's a 'business'
line (because you can't get residential ISDN) none of the offers apply
anyway (or the call rates either!).

I could make free calls at weekends etc. on the POTS line but as I said
it's inconvenient. I may hook it up when the PBX changes to Asterisk,
and milk BT a bit more!

http://www.diybanter.com