Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default BT 1571 to be Charged For

Bob Eager wrote:

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 21:30:45 UTC, "Roger Mills"

Bob Eager wrote:

Perfectly reasonable - I only use my phone for receiving calls
***via BT***. I make calls via various indirect providers, but
they're always going to come in via BT....it's a BT line. So, if I
wished, I could have 1571 on that line and it would take messages
for me. But because I never *make* a call via BT (I always use a
prefix) I would end up paying the stated fee.

So what's wrong with breaking the habit of a lifetime and *making* a
few *free* weekend calls via BT? You could even make them to your
other line if you don't want to make *real* calls for some reason -
a bit like my habit of sending a fax to myself every couple of
months so that my free (PlusNet-provided) Fax-to-email facility
doesn't lapse.

What's the point, and what do I gain?

The POTS line is never used for incoming or outgoing calls. So why
would I want 1571 on it anyway?

The ISDN line doesn't need 1571 (and I've stated my reasons for not
wanting it). It has a PBX and voicemail system attached anyway, and is
unlikely to be engaged because there are two channels. Anyway, no free
1571 on that because to be ISDN it has to eb (effectively) a business
line.

So, unless I've missed something, what would making these free calls
gain me? Apart from saving some small amount of money at certain times
of the week? The disadvantage is that the ISDN line has extensions all
round the house, and the POTS line doesn't even have a phone on it
most of the time, and it has no extensions.

In your own words (above) "I make calls via various indirect providers, but
they're always
going to come in via BT....it's a BT line. So, if I wished, I could have
1571 on that line and it would take messages for me."

I'm not sure which line you were referring to there - or how useful 1571
would be on it. But if you *wanted* 1571, you'd have to pay for it *unless*
you made a couple of calls per month - albeit free - on it. However, if it's
an ISDN line, I don't know how much of this applies anyway!
--
Cheers,
Roger