Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Flop Flop is offline

Default BT 1571 to be Charged For

wrote:
Tiny print on a letter and e-mail just received from BT says that the
1571 standard service is going to cost £1 per month if you don't make
at least 2 charged calls per month. Those who use their landline only
for broadband or only for receiving calls could get an unexpected
addition to their bill. At the moment
http://www.bt.com/youraccount
still says it's free and provides no way to disable it, but watch that
space for a chance to do so.

Chris

This not new - *free* 1571 has always [well for a long time] had a
buried condition that per month or per 3months either 2 or 6
chargeable/inclusive calls were a condition.

This *new* feature has already stung me:

27 Dec 2007 BT Together Option 1 - Charges for BT Answer 1571 2.55

+ VAT

I think there may have been complaints about using "Free" so loosely and
hiding the actual terms, that they are now 'introducing' it.
Rather than apologising for their previous misleading advertising.

Flop

ps if it is new, didn't exist before, can I claim back for being charged
a non-existent fee?

I wish