Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel[_2_] Doctor Drivel[_2_] is offline

Default boiler: need new oil fired boiler

"Stephen" wrote in message
On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 20:30:19 GMT, Stephen
wrote:

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 20:08:28 GMT, Stephen
wrote:

Grant Vortex boilers - I had never heard
of them - but the literature says they have Riello burners

Sorry to keep posting to myself. Just to say that although I had not
heard of Grant - it's hardly surprising because I haven't needed to
shop for a boiler before - they seem to top the sedbuk tables. Does
this mean it's the one to buy? Any reliability problems?

The Worcester comes a close second at 94% versus 95%.

They say the condensate drain must be connected by 22mm plastic. Is
this the same stuff that you use for overflows on the header tanks?

yes.

Screwfix lists it as 21.5mm; have the boiler manufacturers just
rounded it up? How do you connect this to a standard 40mm drain: a
tundish?

No, just connect it. The makers instructions usually tells you.

Last question (for tonight): regarding flues are balanced flues best
or doesn't flue type make a difference? I see that there are vertical
and horizontal flues; I think I can figure what they mean

All are balanced. It is just the siting of the flue. Many can be extended.