Posted to uk.d-i-y
Man at B&Q Man at B&Q is offline

Default Hanging a Plasma TV

On Aug 6, 6:36*pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"John" wrote in message

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message
On Aug 6, 3:56 pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"Man at B&Q" wrote in
On Aug 6, 1:34 am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:

"Kevin" wrote in message

Arfa Daily wrote:
"SantaUK" wrote in message
om...
Hi guys

Looking for some advice. Mate wants his 50" plasma on the wall - no
bother I thought. Until I discovered his partition walls are all
aluminium framing. Is there any reasonable way to attach a wall
bracket
to this type of frame. I was shocked to find this in a house,
thought
it would just have been timber. I was thinking maybe I could nut
and
bolt it on, but would love to hear folks tips on this one.

Cheers folks

SantaUK

I would give this very serious thought first, and then some more,
before
committing to doing it. Plasma TV sets of that size are very heavy,
and
I'm not convinced that an ally framed wall would take that sort of
load
in a direction that it's not designed for, even if you could get a
good
fix directly to the framing rails ...

Arfa
not as heavy as the usual CRT types my 42" is lighter than the 32"
wide-screen it replaced

--
Kevin R
Reply address works

Not really the point here though. One doesn't normally hang a CRT set
on a
wall. In fact in general, nothing much heavier than a mirror used to
get
hung on a wall before the advent of flat screen TV sets, which are an
awful
lot heavier than a mirror ...

When ally framed walls were invented, I doubt that the creators were
speccing for outward-pulling loads of 30 kg or more.

Nor do they need to.

MBQ

Not sure I'm quite following that ...

Arfa

Gravity pulls downwards.

MBQ

As the centre of gravity will be a distance (small maybe) from the wall,
this will create a turning moment around the bottom of the bracket -
effectively pulling the top fixings from the wall.

Yes indeed, and that was the point that I was making. If the set is fixed to
the internal frame of the wall, that turning moment will try to bend that
frame outwards, and I am not sure that that type of wall would stand a force
in that direction, without succumbing and bending.

Arfa

But the point you conveniently missed is that most of the weight (and
force) is still downwards on the bottom fixings.

How much does the telly weigh? If it's sufficient that the "turning
moment" on the top fixings is 30kg as you stated then I would stand it
on the floor!

MBQ