Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen[_2_] Stephen[_2_] is offline

Default boiler: need new oil fired boiler

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 20:30:19 GMT, Stephen
wrote:

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 20:08:28 GMT, Stephen
wrote:

Grant Vortex boilers - I had never heard
of them - but the literature says they have Riello burners

Sorry to keep posting to myself. Just to say that although I had not
heard of Grant - it's hardly surprising because I haven't needed to
shop for a boiler before - they seem to top the sedbuk tables. Does
this mean it's the one to buy? Any reliability problems?

The Worcester comes a close second at 94% versus 95%.

They say the condensate drain must be connected by 22mm plastic. Is
this the same stuff that you use for overflows on the header tanks?
Screwfix lists it as 21.5mm; have the boiler manufacturers just
rounded it up? How do you connect this to a standard 40mm drain: a
tundish?

Last question (for tonight): regarding flues are balanced flues best
or doesn't flue type make a difference? I see that there are vertical
and horizontal flues; I think I can figure what they mean

But I am unsure about high level and low level; what's that all about?

Thanks,
Stephen.