Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Preheating water by running pipes through attic?

On 08/05/08 06:59 pm wrote:

My brother-in-law and his wife are planning to retire and build a custom
home with as many energy-saving and eco-friendly features as possible.
Since they're likely to be stuck with HOA rules about exterior
appearance, solar panels on the roof are probably out, but they were
wondering about simply running water pipes through the roof space.

Does this have possibilities?

I am inclined to think that you're pulling our leg, but here is my
answer anyway. You did not tell us where the house will be built. If
ever winter temp drops below freezing, the copper pipes will bust like
you have never seen, sort of like cutting butter with a knife. Get
the picture?

No, I am not pulling your leg. This is what they told me they are
thinking of. And, yes, I should have said whe "Hotlanta" area.

And also I omitted to repeat in the body of the message the word I used
in the subject line: "preheating." They are not thinking they are going
to get water hot enough for washing dishes from such a system, but they
are hoping to use less gas to heat their water.

Perce