Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen[_2_] Stephen[_2_] is offline

Default boiler: need new oil fired boiler

Hello,

You may remember me posting about my oil fired boiler. The plumber has
just left. When removing the side panels he small a small amount of
smoke escaping and thinks the weld that joins the bottom and side of
the boiler has failed and that the only action is to replace the
boiler.

So, I've never shopped for a new boiler before, can anyone give me and
hints or tips? What makes to shop for and which to avoid etc? If
possible I would like to try and DIY the install and have someone
check and commission it. I figure that might half the cost that way.

I wondered about a wall mounted one to free some room but does this
make it awkward to reach to service? How do you lift the damn things
anyway? I thought they weighed 100kg.

What about external ones? Are they any good? I would be worried about
freezing.

Thanks,
Stephen.