Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] ibidibi411@hotmail.com is offline

Default Subpanel box wiring

On 2008-08-04, wrote:

So If I wanted to install a second rod, would I just jumper the
connection from the same ground wire?

If you want to install a second rod, you can clamp the jumper to the
first rod or to the grounding electrode conductor (the ground wire
going from the first rod to the panel). *Be sure all the clamps you
use are rated for direct burial, for both the jumper and the grounding
electrode conductor.

BTW, if the rod is your only grounding electrode, you need to install
two. *[There is a provision for installing only one in the NEC, but it
requires a measurement of the effectiveness of the first rod that is
way more difficult to make than installing a second rod is.]

Cheers, Wayne

Ok, so if I were to install two and the first is 8', how long would
the second rod need to be to meet code? Just any combination that
adds up to over ten feet? I have a ton of rocks, so driving these
things into the ground is a real pain.

Thanks for that tip on the wire, Steve B.

John