Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Replacing a wall switch that supplies power to a wall outlet

[snip]

This too. I'd make sure that the cord is AT LEAST 14AWG preferably
12AWG and as short as possible. most are 16AWG max.

nate

16AWG cords are marked for 13A, but I try to not use more than 10A
through it for more than a short time (because the wires get hot).

BTW, The little 5000BTU A/C I helped a friend install Thursday uses
4.7A. However, no extension cord was needed.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov