Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] ibidibi411@hotmail.com is offline

Default Subpanel box wiring

On Aug 3, 10:41*pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:

Thanks for sharing. *Not too bad for an amateur. *Everything looks neat.
Generally you don't leave the cable jacket on in the electrical panel more
than 1/4" or so. *Usually a different clamp on the ground rod is used for
direct burial. *We call them an acorn style ground rod clamp. The type that
you used is for water pipes. *The ground wires in the switch box are kind of
short and not spliced properly. *There are green wire connectors available
with a hole in the them for making a splice on the grounds and bringing one
pigtail out through the hole. *Additional grounding pigtails come out just
like any other on the bottom of the connector. *I noticed that you didn't
splice the #10 hot wire so that you can feed the other half of the panel.
Do you have the metal ceiling box grounded with a green 10/32 screw? *All of
your grounds should be spliced correctly for rough inspection.

Thanks for the tips. I guess I should add that not only am I an
amature, but this is my first time doing this. I've had a mentor that
has done this many times helping me, though. He also helped me dig
the trench and run the final bit of conduit to the breaker box.

On the ground wires in the switch box, they are longer than they
look. They are pointed at the camera. But I find it surprising that
using the crimp connectors would be considered "improper" for the
ground wires. I used the crimp connectors to splice all of the
grounds on the advice of a fairly experianced electrician. They
strike me as being superior to wire nuts.

No, I didn't splice the two phases of the panel together as the
inspector said I would be fine just using one leg of the panel.

I didn't use the green ground screw on the ceiling light thinking that
I would wait until final, but, now that you mention it I believe that
would be a mistake.

Thanks,

John