Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Billy Pilgrim Billy Pilgrim is offline

Default Painting exterior stucco spray or roll?

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Billy Pilgrim wrote:

I think (I don't know) that paint will stick to stucco. I'm also
thinking it will stick pretty good provided it stays dry.

It sticks even if it doesn't stay dry.
______________

I think when Chicago Stucco says paint (latex) doesn't adhere well to
cement it really means flat surface cement and they are trying to
stretch the truth a bit. My gut tells me paint will adhere fine to
rough stucco texture provided it stays dry.

1. Get in a car

2. Drive until you find a concrete highway

3. Look at the road

See those lines along the sides and/or middle? That's paint. I have no
idea if it is water or oil base paint but either would work. And roads
get wet.
____________________

Okay so the obvious question is : If the wall never gets wet is it
okay to stucco? e.g.: house with eaves and dry climate.

Here, IMHO, I still say *I wouldn't*

1st) How do I know it will not get wet?

With all your concern about "wet" and you living in NM, I'm still
wondering if you are actually talking about adobe rather than stucco.
Adobe is mud. Mud with sand and an organic material like straw. Mud does
not do well with lots of rain. Stucco has a Portland cement base. Stucco
laughs at rain.
_________________

2nd) Once you paint you're boxed in. Recoating is pretty much out of
the question.

Good thing because I, for one, would not want to do so. Either the
existing stucco would have to be removed - a horrendous job - or cleaned
*really* well. In the latter case, you'd wind up with walls another 3/4"
or so thicker. Might be OK, might not. Not if it covers up stuff like
hose bibs.

I keep thinking you may be talking about cementacious paint when you talk
about recoating. It dries hard like stucco but is not stucco - its paint
with a cement binder.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

yeah, i *don't* buy into the paint not adhering to stucco. I think that's
pushing it. but in houses with no eaves you really don't want to paint
because the parapet is completely exposed to the elements.

i don't think the city uses latex on the roads

make sure your wall stays dry.