Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Replacing a wall switch that supplies power to a wall outlet

"metspitzer" wrote in message
On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 19:58:40 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

Are you using a digital multimeter? 24V is too low for anything but
phantom voltage, unless you've got a really odd house that was wired up
with low voltage switches and relays (it's possible, I have heard of
such houses, but never actually seen one IRL.)

If the switch is a low voltage switch the wire will be noticeably
smaller than house wiring.

One way to test the switch is to just disconnect the two wires from
the switch and wire nut them together.

If it's a low voltage switching system, there will be at least 3 wires on
the switches. Common- On-Off

If the outlet works then you need another switch. If not, we need
more info.