David Hall

Default Isn't relying of someone else's plans... the first three responses make sense!

Bay Area Dave wrote in message news:%xg1b.228$
SNIP

It IS more fun though, for me to do an entire project "by myself". One
of my neighbors tinkers with lots of different projects in his garage.
Recently he showed off a corner cabinet he built for a bedroom tv. His
obvious pride when he showed me the finished project struck me as odd,
as he began telling me how he had to buy the drawer fronts and doors.
He built the carcass, but what shows are the components that he bought.
I didn't want to burst his bubble but when I left, I spoke with my
wife about how he feels like he built the whole thing. I vowed that if
I showed someone a cabinet I'd built, that I wouldn't say that I built
it myself, if the visible parts were purchased, rather than crafted.

Again, thanks guys, for the insights.

dave

Bay Area Dave wrote:

So, I assume that you have that forge all fired up to make the hinges
for your next cabinet? (you can see those usually, you know). How
about that glass furnace for making the glass panels on that curio
cabinet for the living room? Somehow I have failed by not mining and
smelting the copper for the punched copper panels on that pie safe I
made for my MIL. I do assume that you grow, cut and mill all of your
lumber, don't you???? Man, what an ego. Why do you feel the need to
denigrate your neighbor because he enjoyed something a little
differently than you might have? I will never be David Marks (I doubt
that you will either), but I can enjoy the hobby any way I please,
whether I make masterpieces of cabinetry fit for a museum entirly from
my own (over active) imagination or just make some little wooden cars
for my grandsons. Either way, I should be able to have satisfaction
and, indeed, pride, in my efforts without someone like you trying to
**** in my wheaties just for your own ego stroking.

Dave Hall