Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Billy Pilgrim Billy Pilgrim is offline

Default Painting exterior stucco spray or roll?

I live in a 55 year old painted stucco house. There is zero problem with
paint adhesion and zero problems with mold.

The wood trim however is a real bitch to paint as it is always peeling so
it
requires a lot of prep work.

--

Roger Shoaf

About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in the tube,
then
they come up with this striped stuff.

I had to sleep on this one. :-)

I think (I don't know) that paint will stick to stucco. I'm also thinking it
will stick pretty good provided it stays dry.

I think when Chicago Stucco says paint (latex) doesn't adhere well to cement
it really means flat surface cement and they are trying to stretch the truth
a bit. My gut tells me paint will adhere fine to rough stucco texture
provided it stays dry.

Okay so the obvious question is : If the wall never gets wet is it okay to
stucco? e.g.: house with eaves and dry climate.

Here, IMHO, I still say *I wouldn't*

1st) How do I know it will not get wet?

2nd) Once you paint you're boxed in. Recoating is pretty much out of the
question.

3rd) Why would you need to recoat?

Sub 1. Recoating is more attractive if done right,

Sub 2. Much better at repairing cracks and missing stucco

Sub 3. Better at restricting mold. (Which may/may-not not be seen)

Sub 4. All the other reasons recoating is better.

Thanks for not flaming me. I have BP issues I'm constantly monitoring. :-),
A flamer's dream!