Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFCI outlets required with a GFCI Breaker?

On Aug 3, 3:14*am, Tony wrote:
wrote:
Redoing my bathroom and I purchased GFCI outlets for the walls. *But I
just realized that the bathroom, as a whole, is on a GFCI circuit
breaker. *Does standard practice or the NEC require both? Or is that
overdoing it?

-Theodore

Use one or the other. It does no particular harm to have both, but if
one trips, it is much more trouble to figure out which and reset it.

It has been common practice until recently to use a single CGI breaker,
or even a single GFI outlet to protect all the kitchen, bathroom,
garage, and outdoor outlets. This is no longer allowed.

I don't know what your definition of "recently" is, but around here it
would be hard to find a house with all of the above wired onto a
single circuit of any kind.

If you are remodeling the bathroom, the right way to do it is to run a
new 20a feed from the panel for the bathroom alone. You can put the GFI
in the panel or at the outlets, but I would put it at the outlet for
convenience. One GFI can protect other outlets downstream, or each
outlet can have its own GFI, as you prefer, for convenience. Read the
instructions and follow the diagram that comes with each GFI for more
information on how to wire it.

Each "ordinary" outlet that is protected by a GFI located elsewhere,
whether at another outlet or in the panel should be labeled "GFCI
protected". Most GFIs come with these labels packed in the box.

If you are not doing a remodel, but just replacing the outlets, you can
keep the existing GFI breaker and use appropriately-labeled regular
outlets. You can also replace the GFI breaker with a non-GFI breaker and
protect the bathroom outlets with one GFI at the "first" outlet. If you
replace the GFI breaker with a non-GFI breaker, make sure it is not also
protecting other outlets that require GFI protection, such as another
bathroom, basement, kitchen, garage, or outdoors.
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**