Posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,uk.d-i-y
Spaceman Spaceman is offline

Default Which oil to lube paper shredder?

Derek Geldard wrote:
On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 09:37:10 -0400, "Spaceman"
wrote:

Alan wrote:
What substitute oil can I use to save me the cost of buying an
additional special oil for my Fellowes cross-cut shredder used in my
home office?

Here is the real trick,

Buy a sub at your local sub shop and tell them extra olive oil.
(Ham and Cheese and all your fave other toppings.)
but with extra olive oil.

The sub shop usually uses a slightly waxed paper and the oil actually
soaks into it a bit.
Before you shread anything that day, eat the sub and get rid
of all the food and any "massive drippings of the oil".
Then shred the paper sub wrapping, and start
shredding your other stuff.

I never used any other oil ever and usually only got an extra
olive oil sub every third day or so.
The wax and oil will keep those blades like day one for many
shreds.

But your guts will end up like the black hole of Calcutta. 8-((

But olive oil is good for you,
It oils your insides!

But if you don't wish to eat all that, you can always buy
some wax paper and a bottle of olive oil. (not cheap but lasts
a long time if you are only putting a few drops on a piece
of paper every week or so.

I will admit though..
I don't know if it was the wax paper or the olive oil that
did the trick for that shredder.
I think it liked both though.

--
James M Driscoll Jr