Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Changing that belt

Leon wrote:
"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 23:33:40 -0500, "David G. Nagel"
wrote:

What do you mean by "matched sets".

More than that -- particularly length precisely matched within
tolerances tighter than normal manufacturing.

... Most machinery manufacturers who
offer quality products offer the same belt whether it is one or three.

Only (relatively) recently -- in the 60s or so one selected multi-sheave
drive belts by a complex set of numbers if the equipment vendor didn't
provide that as part of the service.

Back in my old automotive days GM sold "matched sets" of belts because some
of the Frigidare AC compressors used 2 belts side by side. They had to be
exactly the same length so thay they could be tightened evenly. I was once
told that the belts were all cut from a wider molded belt. Matched sets
were those that were cut next to each other rather than cut and mixed with
others from the larger belt. Sorta like keeping veneer slices stacked
correctly. Apparently the large belt that all the smaller belts were cut
from was a bit smaller in diameter on one end than the other end.

Not quite--they were simply selected to be within tolerances and coded.

See

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?br...ocation_id=559
http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?br...ocation_id=559

for discussion from Gates perspective.