Sir Edgar

Default Isn't relying of someone else's plans kinda like painting bypa...

Edwin wrote:

Group: rec.woodworking Date: Fri, Aug 22, 2003, 3:03am (EDT+4) From:
(Edwin=A0Pawlowski)
"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
. com...
Everyone keeps asking for plans, plans, plans. Doesn't anybody have a
clue of what THEY want to make, rather than copying someone else's
ideas?
Plans are like training wheels. OK for a spin or two, but you'll never
learn how to ride unless you take them off.
I bought a couple of sets of plans to learn from, but changed
dimensions, changed shapes, etc, to suit my needs and my taste. =A0 I've
also take a note pad and tape measure to the store.
The projects I'm most proud of are the ones that came from my head.
Plans though, can give some ideas on what type of joints or materials to
use in certain situations. They are a learning took, just like books and
reading this NG.
Ed
Fortunately I can think in three dimensions and can visualize the
finished piece before I make the first saw cut. I bought a set of plans
before I made my first grandfather's clock to learn the proportions of
the base to the waist to the upper clock face section. I then put them
aside and started making it from scratch. It was a good thing that I did
for the plans had numerous dimensional errors in their cut list and I
would have wasted some expensive oak. However, I do not think that it
matters whether a person uses plans or not. The main idea is the
pleasure of creating something out of wood and the indescribable joy of
looking at the finished product and saying to one's self "I made that !"
If you're really a dedicated woodworker it can be better than sex
(almost!).
Peace to all ~ Sir Edgar
=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F 8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=
=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8