Absinthe

Default Isn't relying of someone else's plans kinda like painting by paint by numbers?

There is a concept in the software industry referred to Patterns and
Practices. Or "Best Practices". Point of it is that if you are writing let's
say an Accounting package, there are some things that they should all have,
and ways in which certain function should work. Also, in the kitchen, we
have a thing called a recipe box. In it we have "plans" for different
foodstuffs. Granted I may like walnuts in my cake, or you might like
cherries, but if you don't get the right amount of baking powder or baking
soda in it, it will be a pile of goo.

I see plans as recipes. In the same vein there are reasons that most chairs
are so high and tables are another height. Granted that if your family is
taller than the norm, or shorter than the norm you might modify a set of
plans to make it so, but if one were making let's say a bed, and wanted
standard mattress and or sheets to fit it, you may wish to start with a set
of plans.

As for paint by numbers, I have seen some oil's done that way that are
beautiful, and the lady that did them thoroughly enjoyed herself. She
certainly considered that a hobby. I know a guy that makes wine, but he
starts with a mix rather than growing and stepping on his own grapes. he
still considers himself a wine maker, and enjoys his hobby... and may I say
the wine is delicious. hell, the guy that built my house used a set of
plans.

Are you suggesting that one using plans is not a hobbyist? Ok, so one must
make his own plans. How about using mfg wood products? Should one only use
solid wood... From trees that he felled himself, grown from his own seeds,
cut with an axe that he forged in a furnace that he built, fired by coal
that he mined himself......

You find your enjoyment in the design of things. That is wonderful and you
enjoy that. Some people, probably enjoy planing, jointing or dressing wood.
My son, for example couldn't be bothered with any of it, he just likes to
hammer nails. There are many aspects to this hobby, in the days of the
tradesmen (please no flames about how we still have tradesmen, I agree)
there were separate jobs. Jointer, Sawyer... etc. I can't imagine making
hand cut dovetails 10 - 16 hours a day, but that might really be somebody's
thing. I don't mind cutting a couple, either as a matter of discipline or
for bragging rights, but if I had to do a bunch give me a template and a
router...

This is starting to sound a bit flamey... I am not intending it that way.
Just ranting. I think I remember a thread a long time back about purists
getting to the point of banging on a tree with a rock... You can take any
aspect of the art, and say that is all it is. But design, is just that, one
aspect. On another note, just because one has a set of plans, doesn't mean
he can make it. The skills necessary to make a joint or even make a square
cut are still involved, as is finishing (something I absolutely hate by the
way.)

I have built some things from plans, others modified from basic plans, and
still other things from a picture or a discussion. I have fired up turbocad
and made my own things too. I have also "winged" it and found a certain way
through "I guess I can't get to that screw since I already glued that other
joint in the way..." I find no pleasure in that though.

-- Absinthe

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
. com...
Everyone keeps asking for plans, plans, plans. Doesn't anybody have a
clue of what THEY want to make, rather than copying someone else's
ideas? I'm constantly amazed at the things people ask for plans for.
They even PAY for plans! The fun in building something for me is coming
up with a design, and then implementing it. If I said I was as painter,
I sure as heck wouldn't get a paint by numbers kit and just paint within
the lines. That's NOT a hobby. OR is it?? Am I all wet?? Do I have the
wrong idea about what woodworking is about?

This little rant is designed NOT to hurt anyone's feelings: I JUST WANT
TO START A DIALOG ON THE SUBJECT, AS I JUST DON'T GET IT!

Perhaps the reason that people need plans is they can't think in three
dimensions?? Is that it?

Dave