Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_2_] Hawke[_2_] is offline

Default VERY OT - A View Of America

OK, lifted straight from one of our daily newspapers.......

"The superpowers image has been battered during the George Bush years.
The shambolic election in 2000 injected poison into the boastful
democracy. A proud military tradition was diminished by a disastrous
invasion of Iraq, squandering the great outpourings of global sympathy
after the September 11 attacks. America's legal heritage was debased
by prison horrors in Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo Bay, while Washington's
dismal response to hurricane Katrina only served to compound opinion
polls showing global respect for Americans at near record lows."

This is the face you present to the world, this is what you are judged
on. I am sad that it is so, you are capable of so much more than this.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Sorry Andrew..that is the description that some hack put down on
paper.
Its loaded with lies, half truths and propaganda.

Mores the pity that the editors simply didnt take this hack out back
and beat him to within an inch of his life for such dreck

Why would they do that? (The editors?) They believe what was
written to be the truth. Or if not completely the truth, then at
least accurate statement full of truthyness.
Sort of like the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. Accurate, and
"truthy" too.

What he said was that this is the image of America that's become common
around the world. And he's quite right. He didn't say the image is

correct.

--
Ed Huntress

What's correct? People often see the same things completely differently. As
I see it the problem is that lots of Americans have this attitude that we're
always right and no matter what we do it is justified. What makes it worse
is that it is always us who is in someone else's country, shall we say,
"doing things" and it's never a case of anyone doing things in our country.
Because of that the rest of the world sees us as butt-in-skis. We always
think we are doing the right thing. So you get two sides. Our side sees us
as the good guys in white hats and the rest of the world sees us as over
aggressive assholes. One of the sides is more right than the other. One side
has a lot more people on it than the other. So who is right? Us or them? It
used to be we were in the right almost all the time. Now I think they are
the ones who are right more often than we are. I just look at it like I was
in their shoes and I can say if I was them I would hate us. So I can't blame
them for thinking that.

Hawke