Kiyu

Default Can I save money on a shed if I build it?

On 21 Aug 2003 04:23:04 -0700, (jm) wrote:

Or do I come out about even if I just by the premade kit from Home
Depot or Lowe's. A guy at the store said I might save $50.00.
Thanks.

But how much is the experience of doing the whole project yourself worth to you?

I waited until I was 46 to overhaul my first engine (100k+ miles later and still
chugs along just fine) and 58 to do my first construction (the shed) and I
wouldn't trade the experiences gained for anything.
I knew only a little of house construction but there were lots of books
available on the subject that helped me out. I drew the plans up on AutoCad to
be very similar to the one it replaced that termites dined upon. I followed
house construction guidelines for the most part, most of the best materials I
could find, was careful, and it is one heck of a lot better built than the house
it sits behind. Sure it took a couple of months off & on of planning, problem
solving & building and I didn't feel too good when my son's friend came by &
told me he & his dad built theirs (twice as big as the one I built) in a couple
of weekends but I am very happy with the results.G
You can find some plans & shed building books at the borg and check your library
as well. You can also try taking measurements off a shed you see that you like
if you know the homeowners. Keep in mind it is only a shed. You can make
mistakes there that are not all that costly to straighten out and don't forget,
you will get a tremendous amount of advice from your neighbors...some of it
good.G
It is a project that, when you are done, you will step back and say "Gee. I wish
I had done that a little differently. Hmm. Maybe on the next one....."
You can't find that in a kit.

Kiyu