Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb himself[_4_] cavelamb himself[_4_] is offline

Default VERY OT - A View Of America

wrote:
On Aug 2, 8:18 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

. ..

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner
wrote on Wed, 30 Jul 2008 08:10:04
-0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 04:36:45 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

OK, lifted straight from one of our daily newspapers.......

"The superpowers image has been battered during the George Bush years.
The shambolic election in 2000 injected poison into the boastful
democracy. A proud military tradition was diminished by a disastrous
invasion of Iraq, squandering the great outpourings of global sympathy
after the September 11 attacks. America's legal heritage was debased
by prison horrors in Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo Bay, while Washington's
dismal response to hurricane Katrina only served to compound opinion
polls showing global respect for Americans at near record lows."

This is the face you present to the world, this is what you are judged
on. I am sad that it is so, you are capable of so much more than this.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Sorry Andrew..that is the description that some hack put down on
paper.
Its loaded with lies, half truths and propaganda.

Mores the pity that the editors simply didnt take this hack out back
and beat him to within an inch of his life for such dreck

Why would they do that? (The editors?) They believe what was
written to be the truth. Or if not completely the truth, then at
least accurate statement full of truthyness.
Sort of like the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. Accurate, and
"truthy" too.

What he said was that this is the image of America that's become common
around the world. And he's quite right. He didn't say the image is correct.

--
Ed Huntress

Its stirred debate, thats all it was meant to do. Alas, it is the view
of a lot of the world - and it negates the very real good things you
Yanks have done, are doing, and will hopefully continue to do. I am
sympathetic to you Yanks - on a personal level, you are mostly kind,
good hearted and generous, as evidenced by the fantastic responses I
have received here to my newby metalworking questions. The Yanks I
personally know are nice people - but you soon learn what topics to
stay clear of, and that they tend to be very black and white in their
views - no shades of grey, and thats probably because we are more
attuned to the English/European mindset that you people. And yes, I
crack it sometimes and mouth off at what I perceive to be ridiculous
political statements here - maybe thats mutual as the written word is
frequently inadequate to convey meaning - theres a cultural subtext
that goes both ways. And it may be that subtext that has the world
throwing up its hands in horror at what you guys get up to sometimes
hi hi...

And I only got a high school education, and wish I could write better.

And lets face it folks, - sometimes, you just feel like throwing the
pork chop into the Synagogue , just to see what happens......we know
we shouldn't do it, but sometimes, the sheer temptation is
irresistible....like Wet Paint signs...and tell me that some people
here don't deliberately start a controversy for the sheer hell of
it...

Regards,

Andrew VK3BFA.

Nice post, Andrew.
Only one small pork chop to toss back in a cultural sense...

Those of us South of the Mason-Dixon line often don't take kindly to the
term "Yanks" as it still leaves a bad taste in the mouth from our little
"War of Nawthern Agression".

FWIW...

--

Richard