Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Default Isn't relying of someone else's plans kinda like painting bypa...

Fri, Aug 22, 2003, 2:42am (EDT+4) (Bay=A0Area=A0Dave)
doesn't get it:
Everyone keeps asking for plans, plans, plans.

I don't. But, a lot of people ask because they are too idle to
look for themselves, or believe their time is "too valuable" to spend
looking for plans. And, some are probably not aware of how to look for
plans.

Doesn't anybody have a clue of what THEY want to make, rather than
copying someone else's ideas?

Well, yes, they do, that's why they're asking for plans for
something. I wouldn't call it "copying someone else's ideas" tho.
Someone just starting out would usually be better off following someone
else's plans.

Before your time here, but, as I've said before, some people just
prefer using plans. Someone else's plans, that is. Even if they have
the experience and knowledge to draft professional quality plans of
their own. They just like to work from plans. I would say people like
that know what they want to make.

I'm constantly amazed at the things people ask for plans for.

You didn't give any examples.

They even PAY for plans!

And? I occassionally pay for plans too. Does thst make me a bad
person?

The fun in building something for me is coming up with a design, and
then implementing it.

It is for some people, not all. See above. Most of the time I
work from no plans, maybe some measurements, other times a rough sketch
or two. Once in a blue moon I make up a more complete set of plans for
something. I occassionally work with other people' plans, but seldom
don't change somehing, when I do.

If I said I was as painter, I sure as heck wouldn't get a paint by
numbers kit and just paint within the lines. That's NOT a hobby. OR is
it??

Well, if you call yourself a painter, have a truck, ladders, and a
couple of helpers, then no, I would say that's NOT a hobby. But, if you
just paint your house every year, I would say it's a hobby.

Am I all wet?? Do I have the wrong idea about what woodworking is about?

Yes. Yes. Sounds like you're trying too hard to make it all black
and white. Things are seldom just black and white. Usually some black,
some white, separated by a big grey (or gray) patch.

This little rant is designed NOT to hurt anyone's feelings:

You hurt my feelings anyway. LMAO

I JUST WANT TO START A DIALOG ON THE SUBJECT

Yep, realized that right from the start.
, AS I JUST DON'T GET IT!

So you say. So what? It boils down to, different strokes for
different folks.

Perhaps the reason that people need plans is they can't think in three
dimensions?? Is that it?

Nope. I can think in three dimensions, sometimes four. And, I
still buy plans once in awhile. Plans good. Especially printed plans,
so you can hold them and look at them. Some plans are for just
dreamin'. I've got some plans stuck away, I pull 'em out once in
awhile, just to look at. They're for things I know I will never make,
just for dreaming about. Hell, some of them are so damn complicated I
probably couldn't actually make them, even if I started tomorrow. So
what? Some things are like that, doesn't detract a bit. Those are the
things you don't tell people about them, because you don't need somebody
telling you, "You'll never make one of those". I have some other plans,
that I hope to build one day, a more realistic form of dreams.
Sometimes you can tell people about thos, sometimes not. Then there are
a few plans, that once I get a some personal things settled, I intend to
start on. This will be dreams realized. These plans you can usually
tell people about. But, you'll probably still get some idiot telling
you, "You can't make one of those". Those are the people you tell, "Up
yours". You gotta have dreams, some you know you will never do, some
you at least kow are possible, and some you know you can do, and will
do.

Besides, plans are always fun to look at, for me anyway, any kind
of plans. The plans for the Spruce Goose for example, I have no
interesting in flying anything more complex than a kite, but enjoyed the
Spruce Goose plans. Didn't save a copy, because that isn't my thing.
And, I'm one of those people who aren't young, and know everything. I'm
old enough to know I don't know everything, never will, don't care, and
still trying to learn as much as I can. Amazing the new ideas you can
get from someone else's plans, sometime's it just copying an idea, other
times it's inspiration for something a little different.

Plans are good. Besides finding plans on the web, last time I
cheked, I have more woodworking books (not including magazines) the
county library. And still pretty much wing it as far as plans go It's
all about enjoying it.

And, if you still don't get it, the Woodworking Gods have informed
me that I am not here to elucidate you, and not to worry about it.

JOAT
If we're all God's children, what's so special about Jesus?

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 20 Aug 2003. Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/