Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Painting exterior stucco spray or roll?

"Billy Pilgrim" wrote in message

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message

"Billy Pilgrim" wrote in message

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message
Egads! Writing in with some questions is like writing in and asking
what the weather is going to be like tomorrow.

Well, it depends on where you live, doesn't it?

I would think the same would apply to the stucco/paint controversy.

I can see that in SOME places, the stucco would not dry out in a short
enough time to prevent mold. I can see in SOME places, it would NEVER
dry out, so it isn't even used in that part of the country. And I did
see in SOME places where it dried out an hour after a rain, or at least
within a day. And for a long time, it BAKED AND BAKED AND BAKED in the
sun until the next year when the yearly rain came.

So, who's answer is right? I think the best thing to do is investigate
the local practices. What works in Las Vegas, Nevada might not work in
Las Vegas, New Mexico.

Nobody's right, nobody's wrong.

Now, do you think it will rain tomorrow?

Steve

The consensus among people with *experience* seems to be DON'T PAINT
STUCCO. If it's exterior. It's going to get wet. If you paint it you
can't recoat. The cost of recoating isn't that much more than repainting
AND you can hire someone to do it. So get a case of beer and watch. If
you paint you're much too likely to do it yourself. Plus the recoat
looks better and lasts longer. It's a no brainier.

As Wilbur Grimly says: "It's the right thing to do."

Damn. I guess I didn't see 50 years of people painting stucco and fences
houses in Las Vegas, Nevada. Thanks for straightening that out for me.

Steve

Take it up with these guys:

http://www.bobvila.com/HowTo_Library...lls-A2557.html

http://www.lime.org/BLG/Mold.pdf

http://www.chicagostucco.com/faq.html

Maybe they will listen to your tale of woe.

Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Paint ur stucco loser.

I'm done with you, loser. Into the killfile with you.

Steve