Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default 12V car cig lighter adapters - safe?

On 2008-07-31 18:25:16 +0100, Conor said:

In article 4891478d@qaanaaq, Andy Hall says...

For example, on a tank, when the turret was rotated, one could find
sharp rising spikes of 600-800v on some of the wiring.

A Challenger or Chieftan Tank is not a car.

I know.

I am simply pointing out that the possibility exists for poor
performance
and failure of electronics if the engineering isn't done properly.

A single anecdote of "works for me" does not mean that it's impossible
for
issues to happen.

How about its been working fine for me over 35 years, using all sorts of
delicate equipment in all sorts of crap cars and vans. That seems a
fairly
good test to me. These spikes are undoubtedly present, but are they of
sufficient power to cause electronics to blink?

My experience and many
others says no.

It says that in your experience no. It doesn't say that therefore there
can never be an issue. Correct design involves proper measurement and
having a margin rather than hoping for the best.

Stating the bleeding obvious again. And my experience counts for a lot.

For you possibly.

What
is yours by the way?

I already explained that

Mid degree course by any chance and not living in the
real world yet?

You're joking.

Nothing can be perfect down to the nth degree and if you
understand anything about electronics you will know its always a compromise
getting the design to work well.

Of course. My point was that one can't rely on cheap Chinese
manufacturers to have done this work.

I'd like to test you in practice sitting at
a work bench with a soldering iron at the ready and see who could come up
with the first working design of say a 10dB audio preamp, a 30MHz oscillator
and phase locked loop logic and lets say a 5 watt audio amp. I bet you
couldn't even draw a common emitter preamp off the top of your head without
looking for the info or grabbing an op amp. Prove me wrong. Tell my roughly
how to go about designing the phase locked loop logic. Its very easy. Just
the basics. Go on...

I was designing this kind of equipment and digital PLLs, mixed logic
families, low power requirement and RF immunity from the 1970s onwards.

I now do more lucrative things.