Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default Paste Wax or Liquid Paste Wax

On Jul 31, 9:04*am, ebd wrote:
In colder weather (late fall through early spring) I heat my shop with
a barrel stove. When I'm putting the wax on a piece I apply it as
paste and then open the door to the stove and hold it in the high heat
at the open door. I rotate it till the wax melts into the piece and
the wood is warm enough the whole way through. Then I let it cool
slowly. Before I buff it I take it out into the cold for a bit to
harden the wax. It seems to give a more even coating and is easier to
bring up a good shine. If I do a second coat of wax I do it normally
without the heat.

Funny how we all do similar things, in the late fifties and sixties
when I turned wood in Holland, I would get but ends of beeswax candles
from a hunting friend of my Dad, (he did some of the church shores) I
would hold the candle against the spinning wood and than at high speed
I would press hard with a rag against it, the wax would melt under the
friction heat and that was my finish in those day, looked good IMO.
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo