George E. Cawthon

Default Can I save money on a shed if I build it?

jm wrote:

"Brian Mahaney" wrote in message
I just did this and came out about even in price. The difference for me

was
the quality of materials. I was able to use better materials than they

use.
Also, I was able to have a custom design. I could not have used a

standard
design for my intended use. I spent about four hours on design and then

one
day building the shed. I spent time over several more days painting it.

Brian

jm wrote in message
om...
Or do I come out about even if I just by the premade kit from Home
Depot or Lowe's. A guy at the store said I might save $50.00.
Thanks.

Where did you get the plans?

The answer jm is that he said he designed it. You don't
need plans for a simple shed, all you have to do is know
standard construction, and you get that from looking a books
that explain construction. E.g., buildings are designed
around 4 foot increments (or 2 foot increments) so that
everything works together. Studs, rafter, joists on 18 inch
centers (or 24 inch centers). Base plates, top plates,
frames around windows and doors, etc. Roofs are simple, the
only problem is deciding what you want. More problem than
its worth but certainly simple is to just construct roof
trusses instead of using rafters.

Remember, it is only a shed so let yourself go; use plywood
such as T11 and forget standard framing construction and let
the plywood be the major structural member with
reinforcements and triangles where necessary to provide
strength and rigidity. For sizes of 10 by 10 and larger,
though, you should consider 2 x 4 studs.