Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Hidden price increases

I'm curious, how do you think a small business should do it?

My costs are up SHARPLY. I feel if I just raise prices 25% my customers
will bolt. I'm thinking of ways to disguise part of the increase and not
chase everybody away. In my case, I used to give oversize packaging; buy a
10# peck, you get 12# of apples. I also used to be very fussy on grading out
ANY defect.

My plan, at this point, is to reduce the package size, let minor defects go,
and only raise prices slightly, just under 10%.

Every other small business is in the same boat. For my 2 cents, I think
we're looking at serious inflation after the fall elections. Ag products
just seem to be getting hit first. (been to the grocery lately?)

Karl