Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Hidden price increases

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
I came across two interesting situations recently and I wonder how common
they are in general:

1) After walking into my local Fastenal and completing a small purchase I
noticed that the total was in excess of what I would expect the sum of the
components plus taxes to be. A close inspection of the bill showed that I
had been charged additional 15% for "shipping and handling". When I
queried this I was told that this is "fuel surcharge". Thus the cost of
each item went up by 15% without it being shown anywhere in the shop.

2) Honda car service. One of the simple ones, change oil and check tires.
Again the total was higher than the advertised and agreed to price. This
time I found an item "consumables" amounting to about 10% of the price. On
querying this I was shown a small print item on the service contract. Not
that anyone pointed this out before signing.

I understand that we all have to make a living, cost of fuel is going up
etc. etc. I just find it kind of objectionable bordering on dishonest how
these price increases are hidden. They get away with it by making the
extra charge small so that most busy people either will not notice or
simply will not bother.

Is this a common practice elsewhere?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Here in NJ, charging that first 15% would be a criminal offense. They can
only charge the marked price plus tax in a retail sale, unless you have a
written contract stating otherwise. They could wind up paying a fine.

As for the "consumables," we do have a line for materials costs on service
station bills, but that's the oil itself, and the tires. If they added wheel
weights or lug nuts, they'd charge for them. Most service does involve other
small things, but they have to be identifiable individually, not just a
general add-on.

--
Ed Huntress