Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y
Graham Graham is offline

Default 12V car cig lighter adapters - safe?

On 2008-07-31 18:25:16 +0100, Conor said:

In article 4891478d@qaanaaq, Andy Hall says...

For example, on a tank, when the turret was rotated, one could find
sharp rising spikes of 600-800v on some of the wiring.

A Challenger or Chieftan Tank is not a car.

I know.

I am simply pointing out that the possibility exists for poor performance
and failure of electronics if the engineering isn't done properly.

A single anecdote of "works for me" does not mean that it's impossible for
issues to happen.

How about its been working fine for me over 35 years, using all sorts of
delicate equipment in all sorts of crap cars and vans. That seems a fairly
good test to me. These spikes are undoubtedly present, but are they of
sufficient power to cause electronics to blink? My experience and many
others says no.

Graham