Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_3_] Robatoy[_3_] is offline

Default Plywood from China and other crap from China

In article ,
Frank Boettcher wrote:

Don't disagree but I would suggest that consistently bad management is
the root cause for creating and environment that allows the union to
get to that point. If the tail is wagging the dog it's cause the dog
stuck his head in the sand.

I completely agree. The fish rots from the top down. Just look at the
state of the economy. (Oooops, I'm Canadian and not allowed to observe a
cluster**** like the US economy, so I will ignore that this time. I
mean... WHERE-O-WHERE is that really cool Delta plant in Guelph, Ontario
now?)

I had a union. They were highly productive, cooperative,
collaborative, understanding of the realities of global economics and
in no way responsible for the demise of our plant. Horrible corporate
management strategy was the root cause for that.

Yup, seen that elsewhere as well. It is not exclusively 'the union's'
fault. There are always examples which preclude generalisations like
that. But zoom back and take a look at the big picture. Unions have not
encouraged investment much, have they? As soon as the company starts to
make money, it was GIMME GIMME. R & D spending has suffered lots too.

I have seen this first hand. As a small business owner, you want to
grow, create work for people who want it, make a few bucks. My guys see
that CNC as a threat instead of what it is, a way to be competitive and
be more secure in this environment. It helps secure their jobs, not
threaten it. (Besides, it doesn't show up hung-over, goodie for me,
right? I should get something for putting my nuts on the chopping block,
wot?)