Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default Plywood from China and other crap from China

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 10:26:05 -0700, "Rod & Betty Jo"
wrote:

Frank Boettcher wrote:
Yes Japanese branded but made in the USA. Brand new Toyota plant 20
miles from my house. 4000 jobs. Going to build trucks and SUV's?
Nope, going to build the Prius.

Two hours south is a Nissan plant. Building Altima's.

Thing is, they can come to this country, build what the market wants,
offer it in high quality and be successful. Why can't the US brands
do that?

Frank

I've read that while foreign U.S. based auto manufacturing wages are only a
few dollars per hour cheaper that in fact with retirement, medical costs,
benefits etc. that the difference is $70+ U.S. Vs $45 foreign owned. If
indeed true such a margin creates very significant cost difference issues.

I'm sure that's why they're here. Bring a plant into an area where
the average fully benefit loaded manufacturing wage is about
$20/hour, finding labor is not going to be a problem.

Incidenty I've heard on a web woodworking forum that Delta was moving their
table saw manufacturing back to the U.S.....is it true? Rod

The Unisaw never left. Built in Jackson, TN, but with a higher
foreign content in components. The sheet metal is fabricated in
Jackson and the unit is assembled and painted there, components come
from the far east, Mexico and Brazil.

Regarding any others, I don't know. Of the 6-700 fine, knowledgable,
people who worked for Delta prior to the consolidation in 2000 there
are approximately 10 left with the company. Mostly field sales. I
have no contacts left to stay up with what is happening.

Frank